Having a dog as a pet is a huge responsibility because of the amount of care and compassion that a dog needs. Amongst all the other pets, dogs are easily the most difficult to manage because they require their owner’s attention and love. Even cats don’t require as much attention as a dog. Dogs are animals that need to walk a lot and if they don’t get their daily dose of exercise, they are known to get irritable and unstable. However, you need to know certain rules that are essential to walking dogs:
• Leash and Collar – Getting the right leash and collar is a daunting task. You should research well before you decide on the collar. The collar must have room enough for your fingers to slip through and the leash should be at least 6 feet long. Retractable leashes are only advised for dogs that are well behaved. Also, the material of the collar and leash should be of a good quality because you don’t want your dog to have rashes on his neck because of a bad quality collar. There are a variety of collars and leashes available in the market and you can even order at a dog supplies store online.
• Walking a Dog – After you get your dog to wear the leash and collar, you should make sure that they walk comfortably. If your dog has a tendency to tug on the leash, you can get a harness. According to dog whisperers, you should always lead the dog and never let your dog lead you. Although it sounds mean and unkind, that is the rule that you must follow because it is beneficial for the mental health of your dog.
• New Dogs – If you have just had a new pet or if your dog has just begun to go for walks, make sure that you are supportive and compassionate towards him. You can let it play around and sniff a little. However, this is also the time when you have to establish a code of conduct. Make your dog learn that he cannot poop anywhere he likes. Your demeanor should be such that the dog feels that you are the leader.
• Places to Walk – You might have a big garden but that is never enough for a dog. Dogs like to have a lot of exercise and the garden is never big enough for them. If you see your dog running around the garden or the house, it means that it has a lot of pent up energy, which needs to be released. Hence, you must take it to the park, lake or any place, where it can move and run freely.
• Cleaning up – Always clean up after your dog because it is basic dog walking etiquette. Carry handy bags and water bottles too.
Your dog needs to be walked for twice everyday for 30 minutes each. Dogs need a lot of love and you must always take care of it as if you were taking care of yourself. Interact with your dog and encourage him. Never hit your dog and always be calm because dogs, ultimately, are animals and their needs are much different than that of humans.
Lisa Lyttle is a work-at-home mom and owns two little feline friends. Lyttle makes innovative yet cheap halloween costumes to make a living. You can click the given link to check out the animal halloween costumes made by her.